Associate Professor Yi Yang
- Combustion chemistry
- Low GHG emission fuels (Biofuels, natural gas, LPG)
- Low-emission, high-efficiency combustion engines (Advanced compression igntion engines)
Yi Yang is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Melbourne.
Yi received Ph. D from Pennsylvania State University in 2008. He worked as a postdoc at the Combustion Research Facility at Sandia National Laboratories (California) before joining the Department in 2012.
Yi's research aims to develop next-generation engines with low GHG and pollutant emissions. His interests include alternative fuels, advanced compression ignition engines, fuel/engine interactions, combustion chemistry, renewable fuel production, catalytic combustion and emission control.
Applicants with a background in Chemical/Thermal Engineering and interested in combustion and fuels are welcome to contact for PhD opportunities.
- Zhou Z, Yang Y, Brear M, Lacey J, Leone TG, Anderson JE, Shelby MH. A Comparison of Four Methods for Determining the Octane Index and K on a Modern Engine with Upstream, Port or Direct Injection. SAE Technical Papers. 2017, Vol. 2017-March, Issue March. DOI: 10.4271/2017-01-0666
- Lu Z, Cochet JA, Leplat N, Yang Y, Brear M. A high-pressure plug flow reactor for combustion chemistry investigations. MEASUREMENT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. IOP Publishing. 2017, Vol. 28, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1088/1361-6501/aa8023
- Cheng S, Yang Y, Brear M, Kang D, Bohac S, Boehman AL. Autoignition of pentane isomers in a spark-ignition engine. PROCEEDINGS OF THE COMBUSTION INSTITUTE. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 36, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1016/j.proci.2016.08.042
- Kang D, Bohac SV, Boehman AL, Cheng S, Yang Y, Brear M. Autoignition studies of C5 isomers in a motored engine. PROCEEDINGS OF THE COMBUSTION INSTITUTE. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 36, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1016/j.proci.2016.09.012
- Chen Z, Zhang P, Yang Y, Brear M, He X, Wang Z. Impact of nitric oxide (NO) on n-heptane autoignition in a rapid compression machine. COMBUSTION AND FLAME. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 186. DOI: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2017.07.036
- Foong T, Brear M, Morganti KJ, Da Silva G, Yang Y, Dryer FL. Modeling End-Gas Autoignition of Ethanol/Gasoline Surrogate Blends in the Cooperative Fuel Research Engine. ENERGY & FUELS. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b02380
- Yuan H, Yang Y, Brear M, Foong T, Anderson JE. Optimal octane number correlations for mixtures of toluene reference fuels (TRFs) and ethanol. FUEL. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 188. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2016.10.042
- Leplat N, Lu Z, Yang Y, Brear M. A Plug Flow Reactor for Investigating Autoignition Chemistry in Combustion Engines. 2015 Australian Combustion Symposium (ACS). 2015. Editors: Yang Y, Smith N.
- Dec JE, Yang Y, Dernotte J, Ji C. Effects of Gasoline Reactivity and Ethanol Content on Boosted, Premixed and Partially Stratified Low-Temperature Gasoline Combustion (LTGC). SAE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENGINES. SAE International. 2015, Vol. 8, Issue 3. DOI: 10.4271/2015-01-0813
- Yuan H, Foong T, Chen Z, Yang Y, Brear M, Leone T, Anderson JE. Modeling of Trace Knock in a Modern SI Engine Fuelled by Ethanol/Gasoline Blends. SAE Technical Papers. 2015, Vol. 2015-April, Issue April. DOI: 10.4271/2015-01-1242
- Morganti K, Brear M, Da Silva G, Yang Y, Dryer FL. The autoignition of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) in spark-ignition engines. PROCEEDINGS OF THE COMBUSTION INSTITUTE. Elsevier. 2015, Vol. 35. DOI: 10.1016/j.proci.2014.06.070
- Chen Z, Yuan H, Yang Y, Brear M. The Effect of Nitric Oxide on Autoignition Onset of Toluene Reference Fuels (TRFs) in a CFR Engine. 2015 Australian Combustion Symposium (ACS). 2015. Editors: Yang Y, Smith N.
- Chen Z, Yuan H, Yang Y, Brear M. The effect of nitric oxide on knock onset of iso-octane in a CFR spark-ignition engine. ASPACC 2015 - 10th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion. 2015.
- Yang Y, Dec JE, Sjoeberg M, Ji C. Understanding fuel anti-knock performances in modern SI engines using fundamental HCCI experiments. COMBUSTION AND FLAME. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 162, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2015.07.040
- Cheng S, Yuan H, Yang Y, Brear M. Validation of oxidation mechanisms for pentane isomers. 2015 Australian Combustion Symposium (ACS). 2015. Editors: Yang Y, Smith N.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile