Professor Nicholas Hutchins
Dr Nicholas Hutchins is a researcher with the Fluid Mechanics Group in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne. His particular areas of research expertise are turbulent boundary layers, turbulent structure, turbulent drag reduction, turbulent wall-bounded flows over rough or fouled surfaces, and advanced flow diagnostics (PIV and HWA).
- Grayson K, De Silva C, Hutchins N, Marusic I. Impact of mismatched and misaligned laser light sheet profiles on PIV performance. Experiments in Fluids. Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 59, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s00348-017-2453-4
- Chan L, MacDonald M, Chung D, Hutchins N, Ooi A. Analysis of the coherent and turbulent stresses of a numerically simulated rough wall pipe. 15th Asian Congress of Fluid Mechanics (15ACFM). Institute of Physics Publishing. 2017, Vol. 822, Issue 1. Editors: Tso CP. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/822/1/012011
- Squire D, Hutchins N, Morrill-Winter C, Schultz MP, Klewicki J, Marusic I. Applicability of Taylor's hypothesis in rough and smooth-wall boundary layers. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 812. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2016.832
- Grayson K, De Silva C, Hutchins N, Marusic I. Beam stability and warm-up effects of Nd:YAG lasers used in particle image velocimetry. MEASUREMENT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. IOP Publishing. 2017, Vol. 28, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1088/1361-6501/aa6ad7
- Chen WX, Poon K, Hutchins N, Thondapu V, Barlis P, Ooi A. Computational fluid dynamics study of common stent models inside idealised curved coronary arteries. COMPUTER METHODS IN BIOMECHANICS AND BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. Gordon Breach Publishing. 2017, Vol. 20, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1080/10255842.2017.1289374
- Kevin K, Monty J, Bai H, Pathikonda G, Nugroho B, Barros JM, Christensen KT, Hutchins N. Cross -stream stereoscopic particle image velocimetry of a modified turbulent boundary layer over directional surface pattern. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 813. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2016.879
- MacDonald M, Ooi A, Hutchins N, Chung D. Direct numerical simulation of high aspect ratio spanwise-aligned bars. 10th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena, TSFP 2017. 2017, Vol. 3.
- Baidya R, Philip J, Hutchins N, Monty J, Marusic I. Distance-from-the-wall scaling of turbulent motions in wall-bounded flows. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS. American Institute of Physics. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1063/1.4974354
- Scharnowski S, Grayson K, De Silva C, Hutchins N, Marusic I, Kaehler CJ. Generalization of the PIV loss-of-correlation formula introduced by Keane and Adrian. EXPERIMENTS IN FLUIDS. Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 58, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1007/s00348-017-2431-x
- Chen WX, Poon K, Thondapu V, Hutchins N, Barlis P, Ooi A. Haemodynamic effects of incomplete stent apposition in curved coronary arteries. JOURNAL OF BIOMECHANICS. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 63. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2017.09.016
- Chin C, Orlu R, Schlatter P, Monty J, Hutchins N. Influence of a Large-Eddy-Breakup-Device on the Turbulent Interface of Boundary Layers. FLOW TURBULENCE AND COMBUSTION. Springer. 2017, Vol. 99, Issue 3-4. DOI: 10.1007/s10494-017-9861-7
- De Silva C, Philip J, Hutchins N, Marusic I. Interfaces of uniform momentum zones in turbulent boundary layers. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 820. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2017.197
- De Silva C, Kevin, Baidya R, Hutchins N, Marusic I. Large coherence of spanwise velocity in turbulent boundary layers. 10th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena, TSFP 2017. 2017, Vol. 1.
- Morrill-Winter C, Squire D, Klewicki J, Hutchins N, Schultz MP, Marusic I. Reynolds number and roughness effects on turbulent stresses in sandpaper roughness boundary layers. Physical Review Fluids. American Physical Society. 2017, Vol. 2, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.2.054608
- Baars W, Hutchins N, Marusic I. Reynolds number trend of hierarchies and scale interactions in turbulent boundary layers. PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES. Royal Society of London. 2017, Vol. 375, Issue 2089. DOI: 10.1098/rsta.2016.0077
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile