Professor Marcus Pandy
Professor Marcus Pandy is appointed as Chair of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne. He received a PhD in mechanical engineering from Ohio State University, Columbus USA, and then completed a post-doctoral fellowship in mechanical engineering at Stanford University. Prior to joining the University of Melbourne, he held the Joe J. King Professorship in biomedical engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. He is a Fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and the Institute of Engineers Australia.
Prof Pandy's research career has focused on using computational models of the human musculoskeletal system to describe and explain muscle and joint function during functional activities such as walking. He has published approximately 150 journal papers and serves as a chief investigator on grants from the Australian Research Council, the National Health and Medical Research Council as well as industry.
- Gray H, Guan S, Pandy M. Accuracy of mobile biplane X-ray imaging in measuring 6-degree -of-freedom patellofemoral kinematics during overground gait. JOURNAL OF BIOMECHANICS. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 57.
- Cheung A, Gray H, Schache A, Hoermann R, Lim Joon D, Zajac J, Pandy M, Grossmann M. Androgen deprivation causes selective deficits in the biomechanical leg muscle function of men during walking: a prospective case-control study. JOURNAL OF CACHEXIA SARCOPENIA AND MUSCLE. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 1.
- Passmore E, Lai A, Sangeux M, Schache A, Pandy M. Application of ultrasound imaging to subject-specific modelling of the human musculoskeletal system. MECCANICA. Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 52, Issue 3.
- Walter J, Pandy M. Dynamic simulation of knee-joint loading during gait using force-feedback control and surrogate contact modelling. Medical Engineering and Physics. Pergamon. 2017.
- Lim Y, Lin Y, Pandy M. Effects of step length and step frequency on lower-limb muscle function in human gait. JOURNAL OF BIOMECHANICS. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 57.
- Guan S, Gray H, Schache A, Feller J, De Steiger R, Pandy M. In Vivo Six-Degree-of-Freedom Knee-Joint Kinematics in Overground and Treadmill Walking Following Total Knee Arthroplasty. JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC RESEARCH. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 35, Issue 8.
- Sritharan P, Lin Y, Richardson SE, Crossley KM, Birmingham TB, Pandy M. Musculoskeletal loading in the symptomatic and asymptomatic knees of middle-aged osteoarthritis patients. JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC RESEARCH. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 35, Issue 2.
- Cereatti A, Bonci T, Akbarshahi M, Aminian K, BarrÉ A, Begon M, Benoit DL, Charbonnier C, Dal Maso F, Fantozzi S, Lin CC, Lu TW, Pandy M, Stagni R, Van Den Bogert AJ, Camomilla V. Standardization proposal of soft tissue artefact description for data sharing in human motion measurements. Journal of Biomechanics. Pergamon. 2017.
- Lin Y, Pandy M. Three-dimensional data-tracking dynamic optimization simulations of human locomotion generated by direct collocation. JOURNAL OF BIOMECHANICS. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 59.
- Porsa S, Lin Y, Pandy M. Direct Methods for Predicting Movement Biomechanics Based Upon Optimal Control Theory with Implementation in OpenSim. ANNALS OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. American Institute of Physics. 2016, Vol. 44, Issue 8.
- Lai A, Schache A, Brown NAT, Pandy M. Human ankle plantar flexor muscle-tendon mechanics and energetics during maximum acceleration sprinting. JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY INTERFACE. The Royal Society Publishing. 2016, Vol. 13, Issue 121.
- Passmore E, Pandy M, Graham H, Sangeux M. MEASURING FEMORAL TORSION IN VIVO USING FREEHAND 3-D ULTRASOUND IMAGING. ULTRASOUND IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 42, Issue 2.
- Robinson D, Kersh ME, Walsh N, Ackland D, De Steiger R, Pandy M. Mechanical properties of normal and osteoarthritic human articular cartilage. JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 61.
- Guan S, Gray H, Keynejad F, Pandy M. Mobile Biplane X-Ray Imaging System for Measuring 3D Dynamic Joint Motion During Overground Gait. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MEDICAL IMAGING. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 35, Issue 1.
- Clarke EC, Martin JH, D'Entremont AG, Pandy M, Wilson DR, Herbert RD. A non-invasive, 3D, dynamic MRI method for measuring muscle moment arms in vivo: Demonstration in the human ankle joint and Achilles tendon. MEDICAL ENGINEERING & PHYSICS. Pergamon. 2015, Vol. 37, Issue 1.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile