Professor Richard Sandberg
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (High-order accurate numerical methods, high-performance computing)
- Numerical Modelling (High-performance computing for CFD, hybrid RANS/LES methods)
- Turbomachinery (Low-pressure and high-pressure turbines, compressor flows)
- Turbulent Flows (Aeroacoustics, Flow and Noise Control, Compressible Flows)
Richard is Chair of Computational Mechanics in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. His main interest is in high-fidelity simulation of turbulent flows and the associated noise generation in order to gain physical understanding of flow and noise mechanisms and to help assess and improve low-order models that can be employed in an industrial context.
He was awarded a veski innovation fellowship in July 2015 entitled: "Impacting Industry by enabling a step-change in simulation fidelity for flow and noise problems"
Prior to joining the University of Melbourne, he was a Professor of Fluid Dynamics and Aeroacoustics in the Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics research group at the University of Southampton and headed the UK Turbulence Consortium (www.turbulence.ac.uk), coordinating the work packages for compressible flows and flow visualisations and databases.
• 2015-present: Chair of Computational Mechanics in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Melbourne
• 2012-2015: Professor of Fluid Dynamics and Aeroacoustics in the Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics research group at the University of Southampton
• 2011-2012: Senior Lecturer of Aerospace Engineering in the Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics Research
• 2008: Visiting Researcher at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
• 2007-2012: Royal Academy of Engineering/EPSRC research fellowship
• 2007-2011: Lecturer of Aerospace Engineering in the Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics Research
• 2005-2007: Research Fellow in Simulation of trailing-edge broadband noise in Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics Research Group University of Southampton
• 1999-2004: PhD in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Arizona in ‘Numerical Investigation of Transitional and Turbulent Supersonic Axisymmetric Wakes’ (with Prof. Hermann Fasel)
• 1998-1999: M.S. in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Arizona in 1999 ‘Investigation of Turbulence Models for Turbulent Boundary Layer Flows using Temporal Numerical Simulations’
• 1994-1998: ‘Undergraduate’ at the University of Stuttgart
- Wu H, Winkler J, Sandberg R, Moreau S. Direct numerical simulation of transitional airfoil noise. 23rd AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, 2017. 2017.
- Bechlars P, Sandberg R. Evolution of the velocity gradient tensor invariant dynamics in a turbulent boundary layer. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 815.
- Anupindi K, Sandberg R. Implementation and Evaluation of an Embedded LES-RANS Solver. FLOW TURBULENCE AND COMBUSTION. Springer. 2017, Vol. 98, Issue 3.
- Zauner M, Sandham ND, Wheeler APS, Sandberg R. Linear stability prediction of vortex structures on high pressure turbine blades. 12th European Conference on Turbomachinery Fluid Dynamics and Thermodynamics, ETC 2017. 2017, Vol. 2, Issue 2.
- Shin D-H, Sandberg R, Richardson ES. Self-similarity of fluid residence time statistics in a turbulent round jet. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 823.
- Schlanderer S, Weymouth GD, Sandberg R. The boundary data immersion method for compressible flows with application to aeroacoustics. JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL PHYSICS. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 333.
- Hammer F, Sandham ND, Sandberg R. The influence of different wake profiles on losses in a low pressure turbine cascade. 12th European Conference on Turbomachinery Fluid Dynamics and Thermodynamics, ETC 2017. 2017.
- Bechlars P, Sandberg R. The key role of pressure in the turbulence cascading process. Springer Proceedings in Physics. 2017, Vol. 196.
- Bechlars P, Sandberg R. Variation of enstrophy production and strain rotation relation in a turbulent boundary layer. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 812.
- Weatheritt J, Sandberg R. A novel evolutionary algorithm applied to algebraic modifications of the RANS stress-strain relationship. JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL PHYSICS. Academic Press. 2016, Vol. 325.
- Pichler R, Sandberg R, Michelassi V. ASSESSMENT OF GRID RESOLUTION REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCURATE SIMULATION OF DISPARATE SCALES OF TURBULENT FLOW IN LOW-PRESSURE TURBINES. ASME Turbo Expo: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. ASME International. 2016, Vol. 2C-2016.
- Semeraro O, Lesshafft L, Sandberg R. Can Jet Noise Be Predicted Using Linear Instability Wavepackets?. 5th International Conference on Jets, Wakes and Separated Flows (ICJWSF). 2016, Vol. 185. Editors: Segalini A.
- Bechlars P, Pichler R, Sandberg R. Characterisation of the Turbulence-Separation-Bubble Interaction on Turbine Blades. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Leggett J, Priebe S, Sandberg R, Michelassi V, Shabbir A. DETAILED INVESTIGATION OF RANS AND LES PREDICTIONS OF LOSS GENERATION IN AN AXIAL COMPRESSOR CASCADE AT OFF DESIGN INCIDENCES. ASME Turbo Expo: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. ASME International. 2016, Vol. 2A-2016.
- Javier Otero PÉrez J, Sharma A, Sandberg R. Direct numerical simulations for adjoint-based optimal flow and noise control of a backward-facing step. 22nd AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, 2016. 2016.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile