Associate Professor Jason Monty
- Wall-turbulence, air-sea turbulence (turbulence)
Dr Jason Monty is Head of Department and an Associate Professor and reader with the Fluid Mechanics Group in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
After completing a PhD in fluid mechanics under the guidance of Professor Min Chong (with co-supervision by Professor A. E. Perry), Jason Monty was awarded an Australian PostDoctoral Fellowship by the ARC. After completing the APD, Jason was offered the position of Lecturer in the department of Mechanical Engineering.
In 2012 he was awarded an ARC Future Fellowship.
Dr Monty is an experimental researcher in fluid mechanics. His experience ranges from turbulent pipe and channel flows to tow tank testing, air-sea interactions and ice-wave interactions.
- Fluid mechanics
- Wave mechanics
- Kevin, Monty J, Bai HL, Pathikonda G, Nugroho B, Barros JM, Christensen KT, Hutchins N. Cross -stream stereoscopic particle image velocimetry of a modified turbulent boundary layer over directional surface pattern. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 813.
- Baidya R, Philip J, Hutchins N, Monty J, Marusic I. Distance-from-the-wall scaling of turbulent motions in wall-bounded flows. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS. American Institute of Physics. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 2.
- Lee JH, Monty J, Elsnab J, Toffoli A, Babanin A, Alberello A. Estimation of Kinetic Energy Dissipation from Breaking Waves in the Wave Crest Region. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2017, Vol. 47, Issue 5.
- Li S, Chin C, Thondapu V, Poon K, Monty J, Li Y, Ooi A, Tu S, Barlis P. Numerical and experimental investigations of the flow-pressure relation in multiple sequential stenoses coronary artery. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CARDIOVASCULAR IMAGING. Springer. 2017, Vol. 33, Issue 7.
- Nelli F, Bennetts LG, Skene DM, Monty J, Lee JH, Meylan MH, Toffoli A. Reflection and transmission of regular water waves by a thin, floating plate. WAVE MOTION. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 70.
- Chin C, Orlu R, Monty J, Hutchins N, Ooi A, Schlatter P. Simulation of a Large-Eddy-Break-up Device (LEBU) in a Moderate Reynolds Number Turbulent Boundary Layer. 9th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena (TSFP9). Springer. 2017, Vol. 98, Issue 2.
- Chin C, ÖrlÜ R, Monty J, Hutchins N, Ooi A, Schlatter P. Simulation of a Large-Eddy-Break-up Device (LEBU) in a Moderate Reynolds Number Turbulent Boundary Layer. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion. Springer. 2017, Vol. 98, Issue 2.
- Monty J, Dogan E, Hanson R, Scardino AJ, Ganapathisubramani B, Hutchins N. An assessment of the ship drag penalty arising from light calcareous tubeworm fouling. BIOFOULING. Harwood Academic Publishers. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 4.
- Owen K, Dunlop RA, Monty J, Chung D, Noad MJ, Donnelly D, Goldizen AW, MacKenzie T. Detecting surface-feeding behavior by rorqual whales in accelerometer data. MARINE MAMMAL SCIENCE. Society for Marine Mammalogy. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 1.
- Kozul M, Chung D, Monty J. Direct numerical simulation of the incompressible temporally developing turbulent boundary layer. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2016, Vol. 796.
- Chandran D, Baidya R, Monty J, Marusic I. Measurement of Two-Dimensional Energy Spectra in a Turbulent Boundary Layer. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Li S, Chin C, Monty J, Barlis P, Ooi A. Numerical Investigations of the Wall Shear Stress Behaviour in Curved Coronary Arteries. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Canton J, Orlu R, Chin C, Hutchins N, Monty J, Schlatter P. On Large-Scale Friction Control in Turbulent Wall Flow in Low Reynolds Number Channels. FLOW TURBULENCE AND COMBUSTION. Springer. 2016, Vol. 97, Issue 3.
- Kwon Y, Hutchins N, Monty J. On the use of the Reynolds decomposition in the intermittent region of turbulent boundary layers. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2016, Vol. 794.
- Keylock CJ, Ganapathasubramani B, Monty J, Hutchins N, Marusic I. The coupling between inner and outer scales in a zero pressure boundary layer evaluated using a Holder exponent framework. FLUID DYNAMICS RESEARCH. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2016, Vol. 48, Issue 2.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile