Associate Professor Jason Monty
- Wall-turbulence, air-sea turbulence (turbulence)
Dr Jason Monty is Head of Department and an Associate Professor and reader with the Fluid Mechanics Group in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
After completing a PhD in fluid mechanics under the guidance of Professor Min Chong (with co-supervision by Professor A. E. Perry), Jason Monty was awarded an Australian PostDoctoral Fellowship by the ARC. After completing the APD, Jason was offered the position of Lecturer in the department of Mechanical Engineering.
In 2012 he was awarded an ARC Future Fellowship.
Dr Monty is an experimental researcher in fluid mechanics. His experience ranges from turbulent pipe and channel flows to tow tank testing, air-sea interactions and ice-wave interactions.
- Fluid mechanics
- Wave mechanics
- Kevin K, Monty J, Bai H, Pathikonda G, Nugroho B, Barros JM, Christensen KT, Hutchins N. Cross -stream stereoscopic particle image velocimetry of a modified turbulent boundary layer over directional surface pattern. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 813.
- Baidya R, Philip J, Hutchins N, Monty J, Marusic I. Distance-from-the-wall scaling of turbulent motions in wall-bounded flows. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS. American Institute of Physics. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 2.
- Elsnab J, Monty J, White CM, Koochesfahani MM, Klewicki J. Efficacy of single-component MTV to measure turbulent wall-flow velocity derivative profiles at high resolution. EXPERIMENTS IN FLUIDS. Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 58, Issue 9.
- Lee J, Monty J, Elsnab J, Toffoli A, Babanin A, Alberello A. Estimation of Kinetic Energy Dissipation from Breaking Waves in the Wave Crest Region. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2017, Vol. 47, Issue 5.
- Nelli F, Skene DM, Bennetts LG, Meylan MH, Monty J, Toffoli A. Experimental and numerical models of wave reflection and transmission by an ice floe. Proceedings of the International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering - OMAE. 2017, Vol. 8.
- Chin C, ÖrlÜ R, Schlatter P, Monty J, Hutchins N. Influence of a Large-Eddy-Breakup-Device on the Turbulent Interface of Boundary Layers. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion. Springer. 2017.
- Monty J, Chandran D, Baidya R, Marusic I. Measurements of the two-dimensional energy spectra of wall-turbulence at high Reynolds number. 10th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena, TSFP 2017. 2017, Vol. 1.
- Li S, Chin C, Thondapu V, Poon K, Monty J, Li Y, Ooi A, Tu S, Barlis P. Numerical and experimental investigations of the flow-pressure relation in multiple sequential stenoses coronary artery. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CARDIOVASCULAR IMAGING. Springer. 2017, Vol. 33, Issue 7.
- Nelli F, Bennetts LG, Skene DM, Monty J, Lee JH, Meylan MH, Toffoli A. Reflection and transmission of regular water waves by a thin, floating plate. WAVE MOTION. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 70.
- Chin C, Orlu R, Monty J, Hutchins N, Ooi A, Schlatter P. Simulation of a Large-Eddy-Break-up Device (LEBU) in a Moderate Reynolds Number Turbulent Boundary Layer. 9th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena (TSFP9). Springer. 2017, Vol. 98, Issue 2.
- Chin C, ÖrlÜ R, Monty J, Hutchins N, Ooi A, Schlatter P. Simulation of a Large-Eddy-Break-up Device (LEBU) in a Moderate Reynolds Number Turbulent Boundary Layer. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion. Springer. 2017, Vol. 98, Issue 2.
- Chandran D, Baidya R, Monty J, Marusic I. Two-dimensional energy spectra in high-Reynolds-number turbulent boundary layers. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 826.
- Dolatshah A, Nelli F, Alberello A, Bruneau L, Bennetts LG, Meylan MH, Monty J, Toffoli A. Wave attenuation due to ice cover: An experimental model in a wave-ice flume. Proceedings of the International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering - OMAE. 2017, Vol. 8.
- Monty J, Dogan E, Hanson R, Scardino AJ, Ganapathisubramani B, Hutchins N. An assessment of the ship drag penalty arising from light calcareous tubeworm fouling. BIOFOULING. Harwood Academic Publishers. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 4.
- Owen K, Dunlop RA, Monty J, Chung D, Noad MJ, Donnelly D, Goldizen AW, MacKenzie T. Detecting surface-feeding behavior by rorqual whales in accelerometer data. MARINE MAMMAL SCIENCE. Society for Marine Mammalogy. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 1.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile