Dr Simon Illingworth
Simon Illingworth is a senior lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Melbourne. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Cambridge, and his M.Eng. in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of Bristol. He was a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Cambridge, and he also held a JSPS research fellowship at Keio University in Japan. He currently holds a Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA, 2015-2018). Simon Illingworth's research involves applying methods from dynamical systems and control theory to flow instabilities. These methods have been applied to problems in thermoacoustics (combustion oscillations); aeroacoustics (cavity oscillations) and fluid mechanics.
- Oehler S, Ooi A, Illingworth S. Actuator and Sensor selection for feedback control of the linearised Ginzburg-Landau equation. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Illingworth S. Model-based control of vortex shedding at low Reynolds numbers. THEORETICAL AND COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS. Springer. 2016, Vol. 30, Issue 5.
- Jiang B, Poon K, Barlis P, Illingworth S, Ooi A. Numerical study of haemodynamic changes in an idealised coronary artery with a partially embedded stent implanted. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Nardini M, Schlanderer S, Sandberg R, Illingworth S. Reduced Order Modeling for Feedback Control of a Flexible Wing at Low Reynolds Numbers. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Illingworth S. Dynamic estimation of vortex shedding. 9th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena (TSFP9). 2015.
- Orchini A, Illingworth S, Juniper MP. Frequency domain and time domain analysis of thermoacoustic oscillations with wave-based acoustics. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2015, Vol. 775.
- Illingworth S, Juniper MP. Acoustic state-space models using a wave-based approach. 21st International Congress on Sound and Vibration 2014, ICSV 2014. 2014, Vol. 3.
- Illingworth S, Naito H, Fukagata K. Active control of vortex shedding: An explanation of the gain window. PHYSICAL REVIEW E. American Physical Society. 2014, Vol. 90, Issue 4.
- Illingworth S. Estimation and control of vortex shedding at low Reynolds numbers. Proceedings of the 19th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, AFMC 2014. 2014.
- Illingworth S, Waugh IC, Juniper MP. Finding thermoacoustic limit cycles for a ducted Burke-Schumann flame. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute. Elsevier. 2013, Vol. 34, Issue 1.
- Waugh I, Illingworth S, Juniper M. Matrix-free continuation of limit cycles for bifurcation analysis of large thermoacoustic systems. Journal of Computational Physics. Academic Press. 2013, Vol. 240.
- Illingworth S, Morgans AS, Rowley CW. Feedback control of cavity oscillations using simple linear models. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. Cambridge University Press. 2012, Vol. 709.
- Waugh I, Illingworth S, Juniper M. Matrix-free continuation of large thermoacoustic systems. 19th International Congress on Sound and Vibration 2012, ICSV 2012. Curran Associate Inc.. 2012, Vol. 2, Issue 2012.
- Illingworth S, Morgans AS. When will a flame describing function approach to thermoacoustics work well?. 19th International Congress on Sound and Vibration 2012, ICSV 2012. Curran Associate Inc.. 2012, Vol. 2, Issue 2012.
- Illingworth S, Morgans AS, Rowley CW. Feedback control of flow resonances using balanced reduced-order models. Journal of Sound and Vibration. Academic Press - Elsevier Science. 2011, Vol. 330, Issue 8.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile