Professor Saman Halgamuge
- Biomedical Engineering (Neural Engineering, Gate analysis, Metabolomics, Metagenomics, Cancer Data Anlytics and Neural Engineering)
- Data Engineering (Unsupervised Deep Learning and Hardware based data interrogation)
- Mechatronics (Networked Control and Smart Grids)
Saman Halgamuge is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
He is a member of Australian Research Council (ARC) College of Experts for Engineering, Information and Computing Sciences. He is the Director of the PhD training centre Melbourne India Postgraduate Program (MIPP) of University of Melbourne and contributed as Associate Dean (2013-15) and Assistant Dean (2008-13) in International Engagement in the School of Engineering. He is also a member of various International advisory committees including Research Advisory Council of University of Technology PETRONAS. He is also appointed as the VK Samaranayake Endowed Visiting Professor of University of Colombo (2016).
He teaches "Systems Modelling" to undergraduates and "AI in Mechatronic Systems" to Masters students.
Professor Halgamuge’s research interests are in Data Engineering including Active data gathering sensor systems, Unsupervised Deep Learning, Big Data Analytics focusing on applications in Mechanical Engineering and Bioengineering. These applications vary from Sensor Networks in Irrigation, Smart Grids, and Sustainable Energy generation to Bioinformatics and Neuro-Engineering.
Since arriving in Australia in 1996, Professor Halgamuge has obtained research grants totalling over $8.3 million. These grants include funds worth $4.3 million from 17 Australian Research Council grants (4 Discovery projects and 8 Linkages) and a NHMRC project grant, local and European industry, contracts and grants from other research funding agencies and large scale ARC network and infrastructure grants worth about $4 million. He has completed supervision of 30 PhD students and currently supervises a group of 15 PhD students. He published over 250 research papers including a research book, 5 edited books, 20 book chapters, 90 journal articles, and over 130 refereed conference papers attracting 6000 Google Scholar (h-factor: 32).
He completed several projects/contracts for local and international industry including Robert Bosch Germany, YourGene Bioscience Australia and POSCO South Korea.
Google Scholar profile is at: http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=9cafqywAAAAJ
Academia profile is at: http://unimelb.academia.edu/SamanHalgamuge
Research Gate profile is at: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Saman_Halgamuge/
His fundamental research contributions are in Big Data Analytics with Unsupervised and Near Unsupervised type learning as well as Unsupervised Deep Learning and Bioinspired Optimization.
His applied research contributions in collaboration with industry and other organizations include:
1) Mechatrionics including Sensor Networks
2) Bioinformatics and Computational Biology: Metabolomics, Metagenomics, Cancer Data Analytics and Neural Engineering
3) Sustainable Energy
4) Modelling and Optimization of Smart Grids
5) Business Analytics
Recent keynote presentations:
EBDTS (Melbourne, 2016), MERCON (Moratuwa, 2016), ICIT (Melbourne, 2016), 3rd ISCBI (Bali, 2015), 6th CSBio (Bangkok, 2015), 11th ICIUS (Bali, 2015), IMEC (Hong Kong, 2015), ICCCS (IEEE Sponsored) (Greater Noida, 2015), 9th IEEE ICCE (Vancouver, 2014), IEEE ICIIS (Gwalior, 2014), CENET (Shanghai, 2014), ICAEIE (Galle, 2014), ISCBI (New Delhi, 2013), IEEE ICIAfS (Beijing, 2012), IAIDIS Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks, (Rome, 2011), Hybrid Intelligent Systems (Malacca, 2011), International Symposium on Green Manufacturing and Applications (ISGMA), (Seoul, 2011), International Conferences on Construction Machinery and Vehicle Engineering (Shanghai, 2011)
- Clarence W De Silva, Farbod Khoshnoud, Maoqing Li, Halgamuge S. Mechatronics: Fundamentals and Applications. . 2015.
- Mendis G, Petrou S, Halgamuge S, Halgamuge S. Neuromechatronics with In Vitro Microelectrode Arrays. Mechatronics: Fundamentals and Applications. CRC Press. 2015. Editors: De Silva CW, Khoshnoud F, Li M.
- Jayasekara J, Halgamuge S. A combined effect absorption chiller for enhanced performance of combined cooling heating and power systems. Applied Energy. Pergamon. 2014, Vol. 127.
- Li J, Doyle M, Saeed I, Wong SQ, Mar V, Goode D, Caramia F, Doig K, Ryland GL, Thompson ER, Hunter SM, Halgamuge S, Ellul J, Dobrovic A, Campbell I, Papenfuss A, McArthur G, Tothill R. Bioinformatics Pipelines for Targeted Resequencing and Whole-Exome Sequencing of Human and Mouse Genomes: A Virtual Appliance Approach for Instant Deployment. PLoS One. Public Library of Science. 2014, Vol. 9, Issue 4.
- Lau D, Eden J, Oetomo D, Halgamuge S. Musculoskeletal Static Workspace Analysis of the Human Shoulder as a Cable-Driven Robot. IEEE - ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2014, Vol. 20, Issue 2.
- Jayasekara JG, Halgamuge S, Attalage RA, Rajarathne R. Optimum sizing and tracking of combined cooling heating and power systems for bulk energy consumers. Applied Energy. Pergamon. 2014, Vol. 118.
- Amarasinghe K, Li J, Halgamuge S. CoNVEX: copy number variation estimation in exome sequencing data using HMM. BMC Bioinformatics. Biomed Central. 2013, Vol. 14, Issue 2.
- Premaratne U, Halgamuge S, Mareels I. Event Triggered Adaptive Differential Modulation: A New Method for Traffic Reduction in Networked Control Systems. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2013, Vol. 58, Issue 7.
- Wijetunge A, Li Z, Saeed I, Bowne J, Hsu A, Roessner U, Bacic A, Halgamuge S. Exploratory analysis of high-throughput metabolomic data. Metabolomics. Springer. 2013, Vol. 9, Issue 6.
- Lau D, Oetomo D, Halgamuge S. Generalised Formulation and Analysis of Multilink Parallel Cable-Driven Manipulators with Arbitrary Routing using Cable-Routing Matrix. IEEE Transactions on Robotics. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2013, Vol. 29, Issue 5.
- Lau D, Oetomo D, Halgamuge S. Generalized Modeling of Multilink Cable-Driven Manipulators With Arbitrary Routing Using the Cable-Routing Matrix. IEEE Transactions on Robotics. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2013, Vol. 29, Issue 5.
- Jayasekara J, Halgamuge S. Mathematical modeling and experimental verification of an absorption chiller including three dimensional temperature and concentration distributions. Applied Energy. Pergamon. 2013, Vol. 106.
- Tseng CH, Chiang PW, Shiah FK, Chen YL, Liou JR, Hsu TC, Maheswararajah S, Saeed I, Halgamuge S, Tang SL. Microbial and viral metagenomes of a subtropical freshwater reservoir subject to climatic disturbances. The ISME Journal: multidisciplinary journal of microbial ecology. Nature Publishing Group. 2013, Vol. 7.
- Siriwardana J, Jayasekara JS, Halgamuge S. Potential of air-side economizers for data center cooling: A case study for key Australian cities. Applied Energy. Pergamon. 2013, Vol. 104.
- Munoz Acosta M, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. The Algorithm Selection Problem on the Continuous Optimization Domain. Computational Intelligence in Intelligent Data Analysis. Springer. 2013. Editors: Moewes C, Nurnberger A.
Level: 04 Room: E407
Mechanical Engineering, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83445587
F: +61 3 93478784
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile