Professor Saman Halgamuge
- Biomedical Engineering (Neural Engineering, Gate analysis, Metabolomics, Metagenomics, Cancer Data Anlytics and Neural Engineering)
- Data Engineering (Unsupervised Deep Learning and Hardware based data interrogation)
- Mechatronics (Networked Control and Smart Grids)
Saman Halgamuge has moved to Australian National University.
He remains as a honorary Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
He is a member of Australian Research Council (ARC) College of Experts for Engineering, Information and Computing Sciences. He is the Director of the PhD training centre Melbourne India Postgraduate Program (MIPP) of University of Melbourne and contributed as Associate Dean (2013-15) and Assistant Dean (2008-13) in International Engagement in the School of Engineering. He is also a member of various International advisory committees including Research Advisory Council of University of Technology PETRONAS. He is also appointed as the VK Samaranayake Endowed Visiting Professor of University of Colombo (2016).
Professor Halgamuge’s research interests are in Data Engineering including Active data gathering sensor systems, Unsupervised Deep Learning, Big Data Analytics focusing on applications in Mechanical Engineering and Bioengineering. These applications vary from Sensor Networks in Irrigation, Smart Grids, and Sustainable Energy generation to Bioinformatics and Neuro-Engineering.
Since arriving in Australia in 1996, Professor Halgamuge has obtained research grants totalling over $8.3 million. These grants include funds worth $4.3 million from 17 Australian Research Council grants (4 Discovery projects and 8 Linkages) and a NHMRC project grant, local and European industry, contracts and grants from other research funding agencies and large scale ARC network and infrastructure grants worth about $4 million. He has completed supervision of 30 PhD students and currently supervises a group of 15 PhD students. He published over 250 research papers including a research book, 5 edited books, 20 book chapters, 90 journal articles, and over 130 refereed conference papers attracting 6000 Google Scholar (h-factor: 32).
He completed several projects/contracts for local and international industry including Robert Bosch Germany, YourGene Bioscience Australia and POSCO South Korea.
Google Scholar profile is at: http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=9cafqywAAAAJ
Academia profile is at: http://unimelb.academia.edu/SamanHalgamuge
Research Gate profile is at: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Saman_Halgamuge/
His fundamental research contributions are in Big Data Analytics with Unsupervised and Near Unsupervised type learning as well as Unsupervised Deep Learning and Bioinspired Optimization.
His applied research contributions in collaboration with industry and other organizations include:
1) Mechatrionics including Sensor Networks
2) Bioinformatics and Computational Biology: Metabolomics, Metagenomics, Cancer Data Analytics and Neural Engineering
3) Sustainable Energy
4) Modelling and Optimization of Smart Grids
5) Business Analytics
Recent keynote presentations:
EBDTS (Melbourne, 2016), MERCON (Moratuwa, 2016), ICIT (Melbourne, 2016), 3rd ISCBI (Bali, 2015), 6th CSBio (Bangkok, 2015), 11th ICIUS (Bali, 2015), IMEC (Hong Kong, 2015), ICCCS (IEEE Sponsored) (Greater Noida, 2015), 9th IEEE ICCE (Vancouver, 2014), IEEE ICIIS (Gwalior, 2014), CENET (Shanghai, 2014), ICAEIE (Galle, 2014), ISCBI (New Delhi, 2013), IEEE ICIAfS (Beijing, 2012), IAIDIS Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks, (Rome, 2011), Hybrid Intelligent Systems (Malacca, 2011), International Symposium on Green Manufacturing and Applications (ISGMA), (Seoul, 2011), International Conferences on Construction Machinery and Vehicle Engineering (Shanghai, 2011)
- Wahid F, Begg R, Lythgo N, Hass CJ, Halgamuge S, Ackland D. A Multiple Regression Approach to Normalization of Spatiotemporal Gait Features. JOURNAL OF APPLIED BIOMECHANICS. Human Kinetics. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 2.
- Wahid M, Begg R, McClelland JA, Webster KE, Halgamuge S, Ackland D. A multiple regression normalization approach to evaluation of gait in total knee arthroplasty patients. CLINICAL BIOMECHANICS. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 32.
- Abdulla K, Steer K, Wirth A, Halgamuge S. Improving the on-line control of energy storage via forecast error metric customization. Journal of Energy Storage. 2016, Vol. 8.
- Abdulla K, De Hoog J, Muenzel V, Suits F, Steer K, Wirth A, Halgamuge S. Optimal Operation of Energy Storage Systems Considering Forecasts and Battery Degradation. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 2016, Vol. PP, Issue 99.
- Mendis G, Morrisroe E, Petrou S, Halgamuge S. Use of adaptive network burst detection methods for multielectrode array data and the generation of artificial spike patterns for method evaluation. JOURNAL OF NEURAL ENGINEERING. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2016, Vol. 13, Issue 2.
- Wijetunge C, Saeed I, Boughton B, Roessner U, Halgamuge S. A new peak detection algorithm for MALDI mass spectrometry data based on a modified Asymmetric Pseudo-Voigt model. BMC GENOMICS. Biomed Central. 2015, Vol. 16, Issue 12.
- Jayasundara D, Saeed I, Chang BC, Tang S-L, Halgamuge S. Accurate reconstruction of viral quasispecies spectra through improved estimation of strain richness. BMC BIOINFORMATICS. Biomed Central. 2015, Vol. 16.
- Munoz MA, Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. Algorithm selection for black-box continuous optimization problems: A survey on methods and challenges. INFORMATION SCIENCES. Elsevier. 2015, Vol. 317.
- Halgamuge S, Wijenayaka Jayawardane C, Halgamuge S, Kayande U, Kayande U, Wijenayaka Jayawardane C. Attributing Conversion Credit in an Online Environment: An Analysis and Classification. 2015 3RD INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON COMPUTATIONAL AND BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE (ISCBI 2015). IEEE. 2015. Editors: Deb S, Santoso LW, Fong S.
- Lau D, Eden J, Halgamuge S, Oetomo D. Cable Function Analysis for the Musculoskeletal StaticWorkspace of a Human Shoulder. 2nd International Conference on Cable-Driven Parallel Robots. Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 32. Editors: Pott A, Bruckmann T.
- Wahid F, Begg RK, Hass CJ, Halgamuge S, Ackland D. Classification of Parkinson's Disease Gait Using Spatial-Temporal Gait Features. IEEE JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL AND HEALTH INFORMATICS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2015, Vol. 19, Issue 6.
- Wijetunge CD, Saeed I, Boughton B, Spraggins JM, Caprioli RM, Bacic A, Roessner U, Halgamuge S. EXIMS: an improved data analysis pipeline based on a new peak picking method for EXploring Imaging Mass Spectrometry data. BIOINFORMATICS. Oxford University Press. 2015, Vol. 31, Issue 19.
- Munoz MA, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. Exploratory Landscape Analysis of Continuous Space Optimization Problems Using Information Content. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2015, Vol. 19, Issue 1.
- Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. Extended Differential Grouping for Large Scale Global Optimization with Direct and Indirect Variable Interactions. 17th Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2015. Editors: Silva S.
- Lau D, Oetomo D, Halgamuge S. Inverse Dynamics of Multilink Cable-Driven Manipulators With the Consideration of Joint Interaction Forces and Moments. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ROBOTICS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2015, Vol. 31, Issue 2.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile