Professor Saman Halgamuge
- Biomedical Engineering (Neural Engineering, Gate analysis, Metabolomics, Metagenomics, Cancer Data Anlytics and Neural Engineering)
- Data Engineering (Unsupervised Deep Learning and Hardware based data interrogation)
- Mechatronics (Networked Control and Smart Grids)
Saman Halgamuge has been appointed as Director/Head, Research School of Engineering at the Australian National University since August 2016.
He remains associated with the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne in an honorary capacity.
He is an IEEE Fellow and a member of Australian Research Council (ARC) College of Experts for Engineering, Information and Computing Sciences. He was the Director of the PhD training centre Melbourne India Postgraduate Program (MIPP) of University of Melbourne and contributed as Associate Dean (2013-15) and Assistant Dean (2008-13) in International Engagement in the School of Engineering. He is also a member of various International advisory committees including Research Advisory Council of University of Technology PETRONAS.
Professor Halgamuge’s research interests are in Data Engineering including Active data gathering sensor systems, Unsupervised Deep Learning, Big Data Analytics focusing on applications in Mechanical Engineering and Bioengineering. These applications vary from Sensor Networks in Irrigation, Smart Grids, and Sustainable Energy generation to Bioinformatics and Neuro-Engineering.
Since arriving in Australia in 1996, Professor Halgamuge has obtained research grants totalling over $8.3 million. These grants include funds worth $4.3 million from 17 Australian Research Council grants (4 Discovery projects and 8 Linkages) and 2 NHMRC project grant, local and European industry, contracts and grants from other research funding agencies and large scale ARC network and infrastructure grants worth about $4 million. He has completed supervision of 35 PhD students and currently supervises a group of 11 PhD students. He published over 250 research papers including a research book, 5 edited books, 20 book chapters, 90 journal articles, and over 130 refereed conference papers attracting 7300 Google Scholar (h-factor: 34).
He completed several projects/contracts for local and international industry including Robert Bosch Germany, YourGene Bioscience Australia and POSCO South Korea.
Google Scholar profile is at: http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=9cafqywAAAAJ
Academia profile is at: http://unimelb.academia.edu/SamanHalgamuge
Research Gate profile is at: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Saman_Halgamuge/
His fundamental research contributions are in Big Data Analytics with Unsupervised and Near Unsupervised type learning as well as Unsupervised Deep Learning and Bioinspired Optimization.
His applied research contributions in collaboration with industry and other organizations include:
1) Mechatrionics including Sensor Networks
2) Bioinformatics and Computational Biology: Metabolomics, Metagenomics, Cancer Data Analytics and Neural Engineering
3) Sustainable Energy
4) Modelling and Optimization of Smart Grids
5) Business Analytics
Recent keynote presentations:
16th InCoB (Shenzhen, China, 2017), 26th IJCAI: Workshop BAI (Melbourne, 2017), ICOCB 2017, (Jakarta, 2017), ICVARS 2017, (Sydney, 2017), EBDTS (Melbourne, 2016), MERCON (Moratuwa, 2016), ICIT (Melbourne, 2016), 3rd ISCBI (Bali, 2015), 6th CSBio (Bangkok, 2015), 11th ICIUS (Bali, 2015), IMEC (Hong Kong, 2015), ICCCS (IEEE Sponsored) (Greater Noida, 2015), 9th IEEE ICCE (Vancouver, 2014), IEEE ICIIS (Gwalior, 2014), CENET (Shanghai, 2014), ICAEIE (Galle, 2014), ISCBI (New Delhi, 2013), IEEE ICIAfS (Beijing, 2012) His profile at Australian National University is at https://cecs.anu.edu.au/people/saman-halgamuge
- Wang W, Ackland D, McClelland JA, Webster KE, Halgamuge S. Assessment of Gait Characteristics in Total Knee Arthroplasty Patients Using a Hierarchical Partial Least Squares Method. IEEE JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL AND HEALTH INFORMATICS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 22, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/JBHI.2017.2689070
- Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. A Memetic Cooperative Co-evolution Model for Large Scale Continuous Optimization. 3rd Australasian Conference on Artificial Life and Computational Intelligence (ACALCI). Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 10142. Editors: Wagner M, Li X, Hendtlass T. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-51691-2_25
- Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. A Recursive Decomposition Method for Large Scale Continuous Optimization. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/TEVC.2017.2778089
- Habibi Khalaj A, Halgamuge S. A Review on efficient thermal management of air- and liquid-cooled data centers: From chip to the cooling system. APPLIED ENERGY. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 205. DOI: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.08.037
- Herath D, Jayasundara D, Ackland D, Saeed I, Tang S-L, Halgamuge S. Assessing Species Diversity Using Metavirome Data: Methods and Challenges. COMPUTATIONAL AND STRUCTURAL BIOTECHNOLOGY JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 15. DOI: 10.1016/j.csbj.2017.09.001
- Herath D, Tang S-L, Tandon K, Ackland D, Halgamuge S. CoMet: a workflow using contig coverage and composition for binning a metagenomic sample with high precision. 16th International Conference on Bioinformatics (InCoB) - Bioinformatics. Biomed Central. 2017, Vol. 18. DOI: 10.1186/s12859-017-1967-3
- Jayasundara D, Tang SL, Halgamuge S. Human Body to Water Reservoirs: Estimating Viral Population Characteristics Using High-Throughput Sequencing. Metagenomics: Perspectives, Methods, and Applications. 2017. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-08-102268-9.00007-0
- Abdulla K, De Hoog J, Steer K, Wirth A, Halgamuge S. Multi-resolution Dynamic Programming for the Receding Horizon Control of Energy Storage. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/TSTE.2017.2754505
- Davey N, Dunstall S, Halgamuge S. Optimal road design through ecologically sensitive areas considering animal migration dynamics. TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH PART C-EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 77. DOI: 10.1016/j.trc.2017.02.016
- Hameed P, Verspoor C, Kusljic S, Halgamuge S. Positive-Unlabeled Learning for inferring drug interactions based on heterogeneous attributes. BMC BIOINFORMATICS. Biomed Central. 2017, Vol. 18, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1186/s12859-017-1546-7
- Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. Quantifying Variable Interactions in Continuous Optimization Problems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 21, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TEVC.2016.2599164
- Sun Y, Ma C, Halgamuge S. The node-weighted Steiner tree approach to identify elements of cancer-related signaling pathways. 16th International Conference on Bioinformatics (InCoB) - Bioinformatics. Biomed Central. 2017, Vol. 18. DOI: 10.1186/s12859-017-1958-4
- Premaratne U, Halgamuge S, Mareels I. Traffic Reduction in Packet Switched Networked Control Systems Using Deadband Error Modulation. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTOMATIC CONTROL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 62, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1109/TAC.2016.2615685
- Wahid M, Begg R, Lythgo N, Hass CJ, Halgamuge S, Ackland D. A Multiple Regression Approach to Normalization of Spatiotemporal Gait Features. JOURNAL OF APPLIED BIOMECHANICS. Human Kinetics. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1123/jab.2015-0035
- Wahid M, Begg R, McClelland JA, Webster KE, Halgamuge S, Ackland D. A multiple regression normalization approach to evaluation of gait in total knee arthroplasty patients. CLINICAL BIOMECHANICS. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 32. DOI: 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2015.12.012
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile