Associate Professor Denny Oetomo
- Robotics in Biomedical Applications
I am an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne. I am currently the deputy head (engagement) of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and assistant dean (communications) of the Melbourne School of Engineering.
For information on my work, please go here. I graduated B.Eng (hons 1) from the Australian National University in Nov 1997 and completed his PhD (Mechanical Engineering - Robotics) at the National University of Singapore (2004). I was a Research Fellow with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Monash University (2004-2006), a Post-doctoral Fellow in a European Union Project at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, France (Nov 2006 - Jan 2008), and a fixed-term lecturer with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Monash University (2006-2007). I joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Melbourne in Jan 2008.
Main area of research is in robotics and its applications. In recent years, I have focused my research in the area of robotics in medical and clinical applications.
I was the recipient of a recipient of the Cornelius Regan Trust Award in 2012 on effective large class learning program and the Norman Curry Award for Innovation and Excellence in Educational Programs in 2014 for innovation and excellence in the Formulae SAE program at the University of Melbourne
- Van Lith M, Fong J, Crocher V, Tan Y, Mareels I, Oetomo D. Calibration free upper limb joint motion estimation algorithm with wearable sensors. 2016 14th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2016. 2017.
- Mohammadi A, Mareels I, Oetomo D. Model predictive motion control of autonomous forklift vehicles with dynamics balance constraint. 2016 14th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2016. 2017.
- Sebastian G, Fong J, Crocher V, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Mareels I. Quantifying task similarity for skill generalisation in the context of human motor control. 2016 14th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2016. 2017.
- Malekipour F, Oetomo D, Lee P. Subchondral bone microarchitecture and failure mechanism under compression: A finite element study. Journal of Biomechanics. Pergamon. 2017.
- Eden J, Lau D, Tan Y, Oetomo D. Available acceleration set for the study of motion capabilities for cable-driven robots. MECHANISM AND MACHINE THEORY. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 105.
- Lei M, Oetomo D. Cable wrapping phenomenon in cable-driven parallel manipulators. Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics. 2016, Vol. 28, Issue 3.
- Lau D, Eden J, Tan Y, Oetomo D. CASPR: A Comprehensive Cable-Robot Analysis and Simulation Platform for the Research of Cable-Driven Parallel Robots. 2016 IEEE/RSJ INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON INTELLIGENT ROBOTS AND SYSTEMS (IROS 2016). IEEE. 2016, Vol. 2016-November.
- Lau D, Oetomo D. Conditions on the Cable-Routing Matrix for Wrench Closure of Multilink Cable-Driven Manipulators. JOURNAL OF MECHANICAL DESIGN. Amercian Society of Mechanical Engineering. 2016, Vol. 138, Issue 3.
- Malekipour F, Oetomo D, Lee P. Equine subchondral bone failure threshold under impact compression applied through articular cartilage. JOURNAL OF BIOMECHANICS. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 49, Issue 10.
- Zhou S, Fong J, Crocher V, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Mareels I. Learning control in robot-assisted rehabilitation of motor skills – a review. Journal of Control and Decision. 2016, Vol. 3, Issue 1.
- Leong F, Garbin N, Natali CD, Mohammadi A, Thiruchelvam D, Oetomo D, Valdastri P. Magnetic surgical instruments for robotic abdominal surgery. IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering. 2016, Vol. 9.
- Zhou SH, Tan Y, Oetomo D, Freeman C, Burdet E, Mareels I. Modeling of Endpoint Feedback Learning Implemented Through Point-to-Point Learning Control. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. IEEE Control Systems Society. 2016.
- Eden J, Tan Y, Lau D, Oetomo D. On the positive output controllability of linear time invariant systems. AUTOMATICA. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 71.
- Shvartsman R, Teel AR, Oetomo D, Nesic D. System of funnels framework for robust global non-linear control. 2016 IEEE 55th Conference on Decision and Control (CDC). 2016.
- Shaw-Cortez W, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Choong P. Towards Dynamic Object Manipulation with Tactile Sensing for Prosthetic Hands. 2016 IEEE/RSJ INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON INTELLIGENT ROBOTS AND SYSTEMS (IROS 2016). IEEE. 2016, Vol. 2016-November.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile