Dr Daniel Chung
Dr Daniel Chung is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
Daniel graduated from The University of Melbourne with a BE (Mechatronics) / BCS in 2003, and then went on to complete his PhD (Aeronautics) at the California Institute of Technology in 2009. Then he was a postdoctoral scholar researching climate physics at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory before joining the department as Lecturer in 2012.
Daniel is interested in interdisciplinary research centred around fluid mechanics, including large-eddy simulation and modelling, direct numerical simulation, wall-bounded turbulence (especially over roughness), turbulent convection and planetary boundary layers. Daniel's research is fundamental in nature, aimed at developing and improving the predictive tools used in engineering and meteorology.
- Ng C, Ooi A, Lohse D, Chung D. Bulk scaling in wall-bounded and homogeneous vertical natural convection. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. Cambridge University Press. 2018. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2018.102
- Chan L, MacDonald M, Chung D, Hutchins N, Ooi A. Analysis of the coherent and turbulent stresses of a numerically simulated rough wall pipe. 15th Asian Congress of Fluid Mechanics (15ACFM). Institute of Physics Publishing. 2017, Vol. 822, Issue 1. Editors: Tso CP. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/822/1/012011
- Ng C, Ooi A, Lohse D, Chung D. Changes in the boundary-layer structure at the edge of the ultimate regime in vertical natural convection. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 825. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2017.387
- MacDonald M, Ooi A, Hutchins N, Chung D. Direct numerical simulation of high aspect ratio spanwise-aligned bars. 10th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena, TSFP 2017. 2017, Vol. 3.
- Krug D, Chung D, Philip J, Marusic I. Global and local aspects of entrainment in temporal plumes. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 812. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2016.786
- Gat I, Matheou G, Chung D, Dimotakis PE. Incompressible variable-density turbulence in an external acceleration field. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 827. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2017.490
- Matheou G, Chung D, Teixeira J. Large-eddy simulation of a stratocumulus cloud. 34th Annual Conference on Gallery of Fluid Motion (GFM) held at the Annual Meeting of the Division-of-Fluid- Dynamics (DFD) of the American-Physical-Society (APS). American Physical Society. 2017, Vol. 2, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.2.090509
- MacDonald M, Chung D, Hutchins N, Chan L, Ooi A, Garcia-Mayoral R. The minimal-span channel for rough-wall turbulent flows. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 816. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2017.69
- Pullin DI, Hutchins N, Chung D. Turbulent flow over a long flat plate with uniform roughness. PHYSICAL REVIEW FLUIDS. American Physical Society. 2017, Vol. 2, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.2.082601
- Owen K, Dunlop RA, Monty J, Chung D, Noad MJ, Donnelly D, Goldizen AW, MacKenzie T. Detecting surface-feeding behavior by rorqual whales in accelerometer data. MARINE MAMMAL SCIENCE. Society for Marine Mammalogy. 2016, Vol. 32, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1111/mms.12271
- George N, Ooi A, Moinuddin K, Thorpe G, Marusic I, Chung D. Direct Numerical Simulation of a Turbulent Line Plume in a Confined Region. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Kozul M, Chung D, Monty J. Direct numerical simulation of the incompressible temporally developing turbulent boundary layer. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2016, Vol. 796. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2016.207
- Ng C, Ooi A, Chung D. Potential Energy in Vertical Natural Convection. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- MacDonald M, Chung D, Hutchins N, Chan L, Ooi A, Garcia-Mayoral R. The minimal channel: a fast and direct method for characterising roughness. 2ND MULTIFLOW SUMMER SCHOOL ON TURBULENCE. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2016, Vol. 708, Issue 1. Editors: Jimenez J. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/708/1/012010
- MacDonald M, Chan L, Chung D, Hutchins N, Ooi A. Turbulent flow over transitionally rough surfaces with varying roughness densities. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2016, Vol. 804. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2016.459
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile