Dr Alan Smith
- Infrared thermography (applications and training)
- Manufacturing (Machining modelling)
- Manufacturing (Manufacturing management)
- Manufacturing (Quality Systems and statistical qulaity control)
Dr Alan Smith has been a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering since 1996, following various part-time and full-time teaching and research positions at The University of Melbourne and RMIT. He has a PhD for his studies in the thermal modelling of metal cutting and continues to be actively interested in machining theory. His major teaching responsibilities have been in industrial engineering/manufacturing, and more recently in engineering management (economic analysis and quality and reliability). Alan also is a founder and presenter of industry accredited courses in Infrared Thermography for Condition Monitoring and an active member of AusPTA (the Australian Professional Thermographers Association).
Dr Smith’s research interests span many aspects of manufacturing science and management. His fundamental objective is to place manufacturing on a quantitative and scientific basis in order to fully optimise productive systems. Alan’s studies include the mechanics of material removal processes, the optimisation of cutting conditions and thermal modelling of machining; optimisation of production/assembly lines allowing for a variety of constraints including stochastic times; supply chain management; and quality control and management, especially the efficacy of quality systems and their use in industry. Alan also consults widely in the area of applied thermography for solving a range of difficult industry and scientific problems in mechanical equipment, infrastructure, animal behaviour and medical applications.
- Taheri-Garavand A, Ahmadi H, Omid M, Mohtasebi SS, Mollazade K, Smith A, Carlomagno GM. An intelligent approach for cooling radiator fault diagnosis based on infrared thermal image processing technique. APPLIED THERMAL ENGINEERING. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 87.
- Shokravi S, Smith A, Burvill C. Industrial environmental performance evaluation: A Markov-based model considering data uncertainty. Environmental Modelling and Software. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 60.
- Handoko F, Smith A, Burvill C. The role of government, universities, and businesses in advancing technology for SMEs' innovativeness. Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies. Routledge. 2014, Vol. 12, Issue 2.
- Niavarani MR, Smith A. Modeling and generating multi-variate-attribute random vectors using a new simulation method combined with NORTA algorithm. Journal of Uncertain Systems. 2013, Vol. 7, Issue 2.
- Handoko F, Smith A, Burvill C. The Contribution of Triple Helix in Advancing Technology for SMEs in Development Countries. International Conference on Indonesian Development (ICID). PPI Belanda. 2013.
- Shokravi S, Smith A, Burvill C, Maheswararajah S. Industrial Environmental Performance Evaluation - Comparison and Sensitivity Analysis. 2012 International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software. International Environmental Modelling and Software Society (iEMSs). 2012.
- Chen NM, Smith A. Modelling of straight-flute machine tapping. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part B - Journal of Engineering Manufacture. Professional Engineering Publishing. 2011, Vol. 225, Issue B9.
- Karim MA, Samaranayake P, Smith A, Halgamuge S. An on-time delivery improvement model for manufacturing organisations. International Journal of Production Research. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2010, Vol. 48, Issue 8.
- Chen NM, Smith A. Modelling of Machine Tapping with Straight Flute Taps. 36th International MATADOR Conference. Springer London. 2010, Vol. 1.
- Jamshidnezhad B, Smith A. Problematic research design in Quality Management- Is agent-based simulation a panacea?. International Workshop on Modeling and Applied Simulation, MAS 2009, Held at the International Mediterranean and Latin American Modeling Multiconference, I3M 2009. 2009.
- Karim MA, Smith A, Halgamuge S, Islam MM. A comparative study of manufacturing practices and performance variables. International Journal of Production Economics. Elsevier Science. 2008, Vol. 112, Issue 2.
- Karim MA, Smith A, Halgamuge S. Empirical relationships between some manufacturing practices and performance. International Journal of Production Research. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2008, Vol. 46, Issue 13.
- Singh P, Smith A. An empirically validated quality management measurement instrument. Benchmarking. Emerald. 2006, Vol. 13, Issue 4.
- Singh P, Feng M, Smith A. ISO 9000 series of standards: comparison of manufacturing and service organisations. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management. Emerald. 2006, Vol. 23, Issue 2.
- Karim MA, Smith A, Halgamuge S, Hsu A. Manufacturing yield improvement by clustering. International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP� 06). Springer. 2006, Vol. 4234.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile